The purpose of this policy is to be transparent about how Tewkesbury Museum use and protect the personal information you provide to us, whether online, via phone, email, in letters or in any other correspondence or from third parties.
We are an independent town museum and our registered charity number is 203157.
Tewkesbury Museum will act in accordance with current legislation and meet current best practice with regard to the processing of personal data. We are committed to safeguarding your personal information.
Why do we need your information and whose data do we collect?
We may hold data on people who do the following:
- visit our museum
- buy tickets for and attend our exhibitions and events,
- take part in our programme of events and activities
- buy or hire goods or services from us
- contribute items to our museum collections
- contribute to research on our collections and exhibitions
- volunteer at our museum
- support our museum financially and in other ways
- subscribe to our newsletters or sign-up to receive regular updates
If you’re aged 16 or under, you must get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information on our websites.
How we obtain your data
What information we collect
We collect the following classes of information:
- Name(s) and address, email, phone number(s) and other relevant contact details and preferences
- Use of social media relating to the Museum (e.g. following our Facebook or Twitter feed)
- Records of donations
- Records of volunteering
- Records of objects and associated information lent or given to the Museum
- Information about our relationship with you, correspondence, meeting notes, attendance at events etc.
What we do with your data
The core activities we carry out with your data enable us to:
- send information to you about the Museum
- help manage and develop the museum collections
- provide tickets for events requiring them
- administer donations
- administer volunteering opportunities and programmes
- build financial and volunteer support for the Museum through various fundraising and marketing activities
- operate a museum shop
- promote the aims and objectives of the Museum through any other activities not specifically mentioned.
Protecting your data
We keep your data secure.
We will only use your information for the purposes for which it was obtained. Tewkesbury Museum will not, under any circumstances, share or sell your personal data with any third party for marketing purposes and you will not receive offers from other companies or organisations as a result of giving your details to us, except that:
- We will also comply with legal requests where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example, HMRC Gift Aid requests).
- We will pass data to ‘Data Processors’ (like MailChimp), to provide specific services to us. An example would be providing data to a mailing house in order to send a newsletter. A contract is always in place with a Data Processor, and they are not allowed to do anything with your data other than that which we have requested.
How long do we keep your data?
We will keep data for as long as is needed to complete the task for which it was collected. Relationships between donors or volunteers and a museum are often long term ones, and so we expect to keep your data for as long as that relationship exists, or until we no longer need it. We keep data on those who lend or give us items for the collection for so long as the item remains in the collection.
Website Analytics: When you are using our website, we, like all organisations, are able to collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information. If you are simply browsing our website as an anonymous visitor, Tewkesbury Museum may still collect certain information from you, such as your IP address.
- estimate our audience size
- store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our website according to your individual interests
- speed up your searches
- recognise you when you return to our website
Website Links: Our website may, from time to time, contain links to the websites of other persons. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that they have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for them. Please check those policies before you submit any personal data to those websites.
You are in control of your data
It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information about our work, how to support us, and the ways you can get involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways please indicate your preferences when we collect your data, on either the hard copy form or website registration form.
We will not use your personal information for email marketing purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted by us for such purposes. However, we will retain your details on a suppression list to help ensure that we do not continue to contact you.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest to contact you, you may ask us to stop doing so.
You may opt-out of our email marketing communications at any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in at the end of our marketing emails or by contacting us as. At any time you may opt-out of all postal marketing communications, or preferences for specific postal marketing (e.g. newsletters, fundraising appeals, etc.) by notifying us of your choices using our contact details below.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, about the way in which we process your data, or if you wish to change the way we use your data, including how we communicate with you, then please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by post at Tewkesbury Museum, 64 Barton Street, Tewkesbury, GL20 5PX.
Last updated 24 May 2018