Volunteer With Us
We are actively looking for new volunteers. Currently, we need volunteers to help with the roles below. Hours are very flexible, from as little as a couple of hours a month to a day (or more) a week. If you can’t commit to regular times, but want to be involved in specific projects or even work on things at home, there are openings.
If you are interested, please contact us on 01684 292901 or by email at email@example.com .
Stewards (Front of House Staff):
Stewards act as the ‘public face’ of the Museum welcoming visitors and helping them to get as much out of their visit as possible.
This role would suit people who have an interest in local history and the local community and like meeting new people. No prior experience is necessary. Induction and training sessions are provided.
In the summer (March to September inclusive) the museum is open from 11:00am to 4:00pm, 7 days a week.
In the winter (October to February) the museum is open from 11:00am to 3:00pm, Saturday, Sunday & Monday only.
The role includes:
- Welcoming visitors to the Museum
- Introducing visitors to the Museum’s permanent and special exhibitions
- Assisting visitors with their enquiries
- Selling merchandise from the Museum’s reception area.
- Depending on which day and which shift you volunteer for, being responsible for opening up or closing the Museum building
Helping to maintain the museum’s stores and collection, as well as the associated paperwork and computer inputting. Familiarity with computers is a necessity.
Volunteers needed for the Finance and Fundraising Committee:
The Finance and Fundraising Committee reviews the Museum’s financial performance and carries out certain fundraising activities. We are looking for a couple of volunteers to help us.
- A volunteer who is comfortable with reviewing simple accounts and related documents, so will probably have some finance or business experience
- A volunteer who will carry out some marketing activities, so may have previous fundraising experience or may enjoy talking to people about the museum and how they can fund it, promote it or support it in some other way
If you’d like to find out more about either of these roles, please contact the Treasurer, Paul Drake, email ‘finance at tewkesburymuseum.org’
Are you interested in local history? If so, we are looking for people willing to carry out research with the varied resources available at the museum.
Museum Development Officer:
We are looking for someone familiar with the education system who can help organize events
The museum is looking for people who are able to help maintain the indoor areas of the museum. This would include some DIY, painting and basic repairs to help keep the museum in good repair.
We are looking for people able to maintain our stock of costumes (display, try-on and hire) as well as produce new ones. We also need someone to co-ordinate our costume hire service.
We are looking for friendly people willing to attend event days and school visits in relevant costume and interact with the public.